Wednesday, March 2, 2016

DISCONNECT AND RESET


               Jesus apparently found it necessary to get away and refocus, to disconnect with the world and reset his priorities.  In chapter one Mark describes a very busy and demanding day in Jesus’ life.  Then Mark 1:35 says, “In the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, he went out and departed to a solitary place; and there he prayed.”

               Recently I had a problem with the DVR.  I wanted to delete a program but couldn’t get it done.  I tried several approaches but nothing helped.  In fact I went through all of the usual procedures twice.  Finally, I disconnected everything from the power.  After a short time I reconnected and hoped for the best   In some mysterious way the system reset itself and I was able to delete the program.

               All kinds of things can go wrong in our lives and often, try as we will, there is nothing we can do to set things right  That’s why we need to disconnect from the world from time to time come into the presence of God and allow the mysterious working of His Spirit to help us set things right.

               I was in a meeting recently where a friend told about a stressful visit back home in Illinois over the holidays.  A number of things were wrong in the family that she could do nothing about.  They had a long trip back home and needed to leave on Sunday but she said to her husband.  “I have to worship first.”  And so they waited until after church to leave.  She needed to disconnect and allow the mysterious working of the Spirit to do its work in her life as she came to the Table in worship.  It didn’t change the circumstances but it changed her and let her begin to set things right.


               I invite you to disconnect from the world right now, focus on our Lord Jesus Christ, listen to him say, “Do this In remembrance of me,” and let His Spirit do His work In your life.

No comments: