Wednesday, March 19, 2008

STAND BY YOUR LORD -- Table topic #3

Loyalty, or to use a somewhat old fashioned word, faithfulness, is in short supply today. Whether its marriage partners (as in the latest scandal in New York), employees, employers, or church members, many people are quick to bail out if things don't go right for them. Look out for number one is the creed of modern culture. Loyalty is OK, but its not a primary value for a lot of people. As long as the football team is winning the stands will be full, but let hard times set in and fans will leave in droves.

That's why Jesus' words to his disciples in Luke 22 at the Last Supper are so important. The twelve disciples gave him a lot of trouble -- don't we all? After identifying the bread with his body and the wine with his blood, Jesus spoke openly at the table of one who would betray him and scolded them for seeking prestige and power in the kingdom, holding up his own example of being a servant. In spite of these problems he went on to say to them:

You have stood by me in my trials; and just as my Father has granted me a kingdom, I grant that you may eat and drink at my table ... and sit on thrones ruling the twelve tribes of Israel. Luke 22:28-30.

To eat at his table and share in his rule are great promises and they are given in spite of their jealous quarreling, their selfish ambitions, and their lack of complete understanding. The promises are given simply because they were faithful. Above all, Jesus needs our loyalty. And, as the text indicates, he rewards it.

Similar promises are given to the church in Revelation 3:20-21. Here, in this letter to the Laodicean church, we see pictured a church that is very much like the American church today -- rich materially but blind to its poverty, full of deeds, but lukewarm in its passion for Christ. Still, the risen Lord offers a place at his table and a seat on his throne as he says,

Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with me. He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with me on my throne, as I also overcame and sat down with my father on his throne.

He expects our faithfulness, not our perfection; our loyalty, not our lip service. By virtue of the fact that we gather each Lord's Day to commune with him he could well be saying to us: you have stood by me in my trials and now I grant that you may eat and drink at my table and sit with me on my throne.

No comments: